Mention tomatoes to any veggie gardener and stand back! From heirloom seeds to cages, those of us who grow tomatoes take it very seriously. And, why shouldn’t we, tomatoes are valuable… Anything that starts out as a love apple and ends up on my beloved BLT and Tacos The Mom Way …. well that’s serious.
Every year I go into Tomato Frenzy … trying decide which ones to grow that taste the best and produce the most in my limited space. (We will not talk about the fact that I seem to have an unlimited amount of space for roses!) but, back to the tomato…
Last year I asked my garden friends on Twitter and Facebook to tell me their favorite tomatoes. My goal this year is to plant 5 regular sized tomatoes and 3 patio tomatoes. But, my resolve is crumbling and my mouth is watering.
A Favorite tomato QUOTE
“It’s difficult to think anything but pleasant thoughts while eating a homegrown tomato.” – Lewis Grizzard
Recommendations from some SERIOUS TOMATO GROWERS
- Opalka (Robin Follette)
- Mortgage Lifter
- Green Zebra
- Costoluto Genovese (Carolyn Binder)
- Rutgers (Michael Nolan) (Tomato Casual)
- San Marzanos (Susy Morris)
- Lemon Boy
- Roma (Michael Nolan)
- Cherokee Purple
- Amish Paste
- Jet Star
- Vorlon (Chris McLaughlin)
TOMATO TRIVIA … Did you know that?
- When the tomato was introduced to Europe in the 1500s, The French called it “the apple of love.” The Germans called it “the apple of paradise.”
- Thomas Jefferson first ate a tomato in Paris and sent seeds back to America.
- According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Americans eat between 22-24 pounds of tomatoes per person, per year.
- Heinz released it’s first bottled ketchup in 1876.
- Tomato juice is the official state beverage of Ohio.
- Tomatoes are a natural antioxidant and high in Vitamin C.
- In 1897 Joseph Campbell came out with condensed tomato soup.
- The “Hornworm” can eat an entire tomato plant in ONE DAY.
Do you have tomato stories? Ever get in to a tomato frenzy? Come on, you can tell me!