More than 25 years ago I attended a herb festival that served some amazing herby lemonade. When I came home, I immediately started making “my version” of this wonderfully refreshing drink. Every time I serve it, I get rave reviews. I have shared this very simple recipe a million times. Maybe not a million–but a lot! One of the best things about it, is that it is so simple. I decided many years ago, the more I can keep things simple, the more I can entertain.
My daughter calls this lemonade … LEMONADE THE MOM WAY. I just love that.
She wrote about it a few years back on her blog…
Summer isn’t summer without lemonade and my mom’s lemonade is the best. I don’t just say this because she’s my mom…it’s the best. Hands down. She gets asked all the time for the recipe which is super easy and wonderfully refreshing.
For each can of Minute Maid Frozen Lemonade add…
- 2 cans water
- 2 cans Canada Dry Ginger Ale
- 1/2 cup sugar3 large sprigs of fresh mint
- 1 – 2 lemons, thinly sliced
- Add ice and ENJOY!
Here’s where the SWEETNESS comes in…
My grandson loves to make lemonade with me. We make a very simple lemon shake up. Lemons, sugar, water & ice. Every second we spend working on our refreshing lemony drinks… are the sweetest ever!
This week while with him, we used special lemonade cups I found (on Amazon). He loved them! #moresweetness
There “might” be truth to the rumor that I bought him a lemonade stand…
NOW FOR THE ROSEY PART…
On Wednesday we shared a glass of rose flavored lemonade at the Grateful Cafe. We were hot and sweaty from our tour of Exposition Park Rose Garden and the lemonade was just what we needed!
Here we are enjoying Pretty Lady Rose in the garden … the fragrance surrounding us was amazing! I will never forget the fragrance and I hope he won’t either!
Oh how I love to see him put his nose in a fragrant rose. #memories
Pretty Lady Rose was having a very good day in the garden! Loads of blooms!
BACK TO LEMONS…
Here are some fun lemonade facts:
- August 20th is National Lemonade Day.
- Lemonade can trace it’s origins to the Egyptians when in 500 AD lemon juice was mixed with sugar to make a beverage known as qatarmizat.
- The first lemonade “soft drink” debuted in Paris on August 20th, 1630. The drink was made from sparkling water and lemon juice sweetened with honey.
- Frozen lemonade made its debut in 1840 in Naples, Italy.
- The earliest documented lemonade stands were introduced by a young entrepreneur named Edward Bok who formed them in Brooklyn street cars from 1873 to 1876.
- Lemonade stands were first referenced in news media by the New York Times in 1879.
- The “ade” in lemonade means that the product is not 100 percent juice.
- Grape juice is added to plain lemonade to make commercial pink lemonade.
Even though for many of us summer is coming to an end… there’s still time to make some lemonade and celebrate the sweetness in your life!
9 thoughts on “Lemons, Roses and Sweetness”
More than anything else, I love that you made a memory for your grandson. That’s the sweetest flavor. 🙂
“Sweet” post! Who doesn’t love lemonade! Thanks for the heads-up about the cafe at Exposition Park. It’s not always easy to find a healthy place to eat. I also have family in So. Calif. and they will be glad to know about it and the other locations. Your little guy makes me miss holding mine. They’re all grown up.
I have little plants of Lemon Balm popping up all over the garden. Lemon Balm has been used since the Middle Ages to reduce anxiety and lift the spirits and putting a leaf of lemon balm in your ice blocks is a cheery thing to do!
Love this post! I can’t wait to try the lemonade! We still have several more weeks of intense heat down here in lower Alabama so this comes at a perfect time..
I hope you love it!! 🍋🌹❤️🌹❤🌹️🍋
How very lovely!
Those are very beautiful memories you made for your grandson!