If you ask me what is my favorite plant to grow, I would say roses–hands down. BUT, if you asked me what is my favorite veggie to grow … it is the tomato. To me there is nothing like picking a tomato from your garden. They smell good, they taste good and they ARE good. The fresher the better. Eating a tomato straight from the vine … there’s nothing like it!
Each year I kind of get crazy making tomato decisions…
- Which ones to plant? There are SOOO many varieties!
- Heirloom or hybrid?
- How to keep them healthy! Go away worms, bunnies, blight!!!
- How many can I get in my limited space?
- Where will they get the best light?
- What’s the best support system … trellis, stakes or cages??
- Should I do CROP ROTATION???
- HOW MUCH AND WHAT KIND OF FERTILIZER????
- DO I PRUNE SUCKERS??? Some say YES!!!! Some say NO!!!!!
You get the picture.
Ahhhh, it is all worth it when I bite into that first tomato and when I slice a home-grown tomato for my BLT (I LOVE BLTs!)
THIS YEAR’S CROP (See pictures below.)
- Sweet 100
- Yellow Pear
- Black Cherry
- Bonnie Grape
- Mr. Stripy
- Big Boy
- Cherokee Purple
All are doing very well. However, the tomatoes cages for the big tomatoes are lame! Need something better and bigger.
I should also note, this year my tomatoes have a secret weapon … Moo Poo. If you are not familiar with Moo Poo … click here. Annie at Authentic Brands has something great for you! I have a 7′ patio tomato loaded with yummy tomatoes — need I say more!
I already have my eye on a new “cage” system at Lowes. And, am starting a list of new varieties to try. So, as you can see, the frenzy is sure to start again!
I would appreciate your help!
What is your favorite home-grown tomato?
What is your favorite tomato support system?
If not the tomato, what is your favorite home-grown veggie and are you obsessive about it?