The pictures of my fruitcake cookies on social media have been receiving a myriad of comments — everything from “Yuk” to “Yay” to family stories! I love the stories so keep them coming in the comment section below!
A cake once revered, is now the butt of many holiday jokes—and with good reason. Have you tried some of the things they sell as “fruitcake”???? 😳
The fruitcake is traced back to at least Roman times and is often the cake choice of royals. Did you know that Charles and Diana’s wedding cake was a fruitcake with cream cheese frosting.
We are the third generation to make these cookies. Christmas would not be Christmas for Mr. G without these cookies. For me they were an acquired taste, but I have crossed over the line and totally love these cookies too.
The recipe is so simple!
- 1 lb candied fruit (mixed) chopped in small pieces.
- 1/2 cup self rising flour
- 4-6 oz of shredded coconut
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- Dredge fruit through flour
- Add coconut, nuts and milk
- Bake on parchment paper lined cookie sheet for 15 – 20 minutes.
- 300 degree oven
Makes approximately 4 dozen.
Store uncovered — as much as possible.
Note: If you have trouble finding candied fruits … check here.
Give the cookies a try and let me know what you think!